Friday, February 4, 2011

SNOW DAY x2!!!!

Tuesday Night - blowing now, yikes!
TWO SNOW DAYS!  YIPPEE!  Odd, that I'm writing about my snow days as I'm back at work (clearly not working too hard).

Ah the joy of a SNOW DAY.  Although, some of the fun was taken out of it in my opinion because both snow days were called off the day before.  There is no better memory then waking up as a kid only to learn you had a SNOW DAY!  Or during the U of I Valentine's Day Blizzard, heading to class with Kelli and learning you got a SNOW DAY then preceding to wake up your entire dorm floor with the news.

Still, it was Fantastic.  Wednesday and Thursday off.  What luck!  And while I was a little jealous that my dad got a third (!) SNOW DAY today, I am a little happy to be back.

I mean really, I hadn't left my house since Monday (Tuesday was my off day).  I was getting all kinds of antsy.  And it's only ONE day back. 

I was also very productive on my SNOW DAYS, I got caught up on grading and even ahead on planning.

Speaking of planning lessons, it's always the irony of teaching that the lessons you put the most thought and consideration into planning, are the ones that fail the most.  For example, in my World History class on Monday I had (what I thought) could be a boring lesson planned.  But it turned out fantastic!  We had such a lively great discussion.  The kids were totally into it.

On the other had...my Monday U.S. History lesson.  I put so much effort into it, and thought it was amazing.  It was over the 1950's American Dream, a woman's ideal role, family life... all of these (in my opinion) fun things.  I had tons of pictures in my PowerPoint, Stereotypical women jokes (really!), and we even watched an episode of "Leave it to Beaver".  Fun right?

Not according to these kids.  Granted it was a Monday- first period.  But they were SO not engaged.  Totally catching flies with their mouths.  FAIL! 

Painful, truly painful.  Ah well, next time I'll get em. 

How about some more SNOW DAY pics?

Dad standing next to a snow drift.  He's so happy

This poor tree was buried!
Opened the garage door, only to find a mini-mountain of snow
Half a tree

2 comments:

Luz said...

I would've loved your funny women jokes Winky! Those kids do not know what a great class is! They should sit in one of my classes!

MarBal said...

Nice Blizzard pics! Your kids are totally haters. I would have loved that class!


The word verification for this comment was "Polin." Too close. Too close.