Monday, January 31, 2011

Here's What I Think of You!

I love teaching.  Truly, everything about it.  But I know as a young teacher, I have lots to improve.  So, at the end of the semester I ask my kids to "review" me.  Here are some of my favorite responses:

What Did You Like about this Class?
"I Loved your class so much!  Before I hated history but now I kinda like it!  You're a fun/cool teacher"
"I liked the way you teach things.  Your not boring like all the other teachers but I think it's because you're young."
"Favorite class ever!"

What Didn't You Like?
"You didn't let us play cards"
"Why do we write so much?"
"Your bellwork is the epitome of all evil"

Suggestions?
"We should only watch movies"
"Don't make Ms. C. mad! LOL"

It is always a little scary giving students the opportunity to critique you, but I'm getting used to it.  I mean, as a teacher, I know I'm critiqued CONSTANTLY by these kids.  Critiqued, made fun of, laughed at...Remember the things YOU used to say about teachers?


The other day about halfway through my U.S. History class, I looked down only to find my black dress pants had a HUGE chalk smear all across my thigh.  Surprised, I said to my kids "Why didn't anyone tell me I have a giant chalk stain!"  To which they replied, "Oh, we've been laughing at that all period." I tell you.  Kids these days.  


And today for some reason while trying to say "emphasize" in my World History class, it just wouldn't come out right.  It was coming out "EPasi...ePa...EPasize?"  Kid's were trying to guess what I was reaching for when one kid in the back, with a surprising amount of annoyance in his voice loudly proclaimed: "EMP. PHA. SIZE." Well, gee wiz.

And the more I think about it, I do believe most of my blogs will be about teaching/coaching. 

Kids do say the darndest things

No comments: