Monday, August 1, 2011

The Run from HELL

After a thoroughly enjoyable weekend (Friday night: Ladies night with Connie! Saturday night: Awesome party at our house with great friends!) Kyle and I decided to cap it off with a 10 mile run Sunday afternoon.

If you remember, Kyle and I are training for our first ever half marathon at the end of this August.  Up until about the past 2-3 weeks, training has been going fantastic.  I've hit 10 miles several times, my leg muscles were looking rock hard, and I was feeling very confident.

Notice however, I said up until the past 2-3 weeks.  Packing, moving, and last week's heat wave have frankly destroyed our progress.  It's unbelievable how fast you can get out of shape.  But none of this was considered as we prepared for a pleasant Sunday jog.

We had no idea we were about to go on the RUN FROM HELL.

I should have known all bets were off when we stepped outside to discover an oppressive, humid heat.

I should have known all bets were off when I recognized we didn't pack enough water.

I should have known all bets were off when as soon as we arrived at the Jane Addams Trail, Kyle thought it was a good idea to rip the sleeves off his shirt and wear one of those said sleeves as a headband. 

From the front it could just be your ordinary handkerchief.

The true story is told once he turns around.

A little hilarious? Yes.  A lot embarrassing?  Yes.  Incredibly disconcerting?  Absolutely.  Kyle has since said he would like to do this with every t-shirt he owns.  God help me.

Our run quickly went from embarrassing (Kyle) to dangerous (Whitney).  It typical Whitney fashion, I was totally consumed with the beauty of nature around me, oblivious to where my feet were landing.  Within 5 minutes from the start of our run I awkwardly stepped on a large walnut, thus rolling my ankle and going into a spectacular fall consisting of numerous somersaults.  The scene concluded with intense pain, tears, a dusty body, and a sprained ankle.

Thinking that I could only consider myself a true athlete if I continued, I (unwisely) forced Kyle to go on a  wobbly, gimpy 7 mile jog at the world's. slowest. pace. ever. 

The result of our jog:

- Me running the entire time either swearing, crying, or baring my teeth like a rabid dog.

- Both of us nearly passing out from sheer exhaustion from being out of shape and in what we later found out to be a Heat Advisory

- All too quickly running out of water and contemplating drinking muddy pond water

- Not being able to get out of that damned sun and achieving that "burnt to a crisp" look 

Weird tan lines? Check.  Bright red coloring? Check.
- A swollen, painful-as-a-bitch ankle.
Excuse the ugly feet.  Notice the swelling on my left ankle, OUCH!
After this run and the past few weeks, I have to admit I'm very nervous about this half marathon.  I hope we can pull it off and we never EVER have a run this awful again!

The highlight of our dismal experience?  We met a cute little turtle friend along the way!  And while you can't see it in the picture, it would appear our turtle wasn't having the best day either; he had a large crack in his shell.



I guess as the Turtle must already know and Kyle and I found out yesterday; you can't win them all, you can't win them all.

5 comments:

Nate said...

lol... you didn't tell me you rolled your ankle by tripping on a walnut? A walnut?!? That is more embarrassing than Kyle's shirt (which was pretty cool btw).

You guys should just run on a treadmill when it is too hot. Way less painful way to get in your training and not lose your fitness.

Definitely looking forward to the HM with guys! It is going to be awesome. Keep up the good work!

Luz said...

I'm going to do that to all of my t-shirts too! It looks great! I think Kyle has def. started a fashion trend.

To echo Nate: a walnut Whitney? Not that I should be talking, I trip over my own feet.

That turtle was so cute! Poor little guy. You should have saved all of your water to give to this turtle!

Brady said...

I keep checking back for updates on your new job

Anonymous said...

MORE BLOGS

Cait said...

Are you still running?!?! Gosh, that would be a run from Hell!!!