Monday, April 4, 2011

Frustrated with a capital F

"Back to school. Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight"

And I almost did get in a fight.  No, actually that is a complete lie.  However, my first day back at school did prove to be frustrating.

I came to school very excited today, having been assured my job status for next year at B.C. High School would be decided.  However that is now NOT the case.  New estimate: end of April.  Another month of stress...yay!

On top of this, I had a very fun frustrating day with my students.

In my World History class, SIX groups were scheduled to present a project they had completed before break.  Actual groups ready to present: ONE.

In that same period, this happened:

Student X: While Ms. C. is busy with another student, flips American Flag upside down.

Me: Noticing upside down flag, "X, turn the flag right side up."

X: "Ughhhhhhh, NO"

Me: "NOW.  You should treat our flag with respect"

X: "I can treat our flag however I want!  It doesn't represent ANYTHING!  We have NO FREEDOMS IN THIS COUNTRY!"

Me: "As a history teacher and someone who has family members in the military, that statement is both incorrect and offensive."

X: "I DON'T CARE!  I will say that to anyone!  I'll say it to everyone in the military!  I can say whatever I want here.  It's called FREEDOM OF SPEECH!"

If that doesn't show logic, I don't know what does.

Welcome back to me, Welcome back

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Whitney indeed :(.

I hope all your other students laughed at him.

Luz said...

You should have sent him to the principal's office for being an insubordinate brat! Ugh, the things you have to deal with!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what did you end up doing?

Brady said...

Besides the obvious hypocritical logic, this kid is a dumbass for a couple of reasons: 1) Thinking the flag doesn't mean anything. I'm sure the wives and mothers who received a folded up flag at the funerals of the 1.2 million servicemembers who have died in defense of that flag would disagree. 2) They probably have no idea what flying the flag upside down means. The US Flag Code designates this to be used in a time of distress. Did their mom pack the wrong lunchable in their Hello Kitty lunchbox and they wanted to send out the distress signal? "Oh shit, a ham and cheese lunchable, I wanted the pizza one."

Some people fly flags upside down in protest because they think their country is in distress in some area, but I'm sure this kid wasn't doing that.