Monday, March 28, 2011

"IMAGINE"


No, not John Lennon style...WHITNEY style.

Today, I am coming out of hiding.  My name is Whitney and I have an overactive imagination.

For as long as I can remember, I've always resorted to my imagination to create fun.  And while most people grow out of theirs, mine seems to get stronger with time.  Is it wrong to be 24 and still imagine on a daily basis?  Sometimes I think it's not normal.

It usually starts as a "shower story" (something I make up while in the shower to pass the time).  But then it crosses over into my daily life; during drives, while with loved ones, before bed.

Because I'm word purging right now, let me give you a full breakdown of how serious this is.  The stories I create in my head are dramatic, outrageous, and incredibly elaborate.  A typical "story" I create lasts from one month to several years.  That's right, YEARS.

The longest-running of mine lasted from about the 4th grade to early high school.  I was wife to the President of the United States who was black (yes, I've always been progressive).  We were the most beloved couple on the planet.  I was continuously voted most beautiful in the world.  I was the voice behind every great song of the 90's.  But I also took it to dark places...oh yes.

I lived through a Holocaust- like experience that occurred within the White House.  (Don't you question my imagination!)  I survived trapped in a mountain after a volcano erupted.  I survived a long coma after being in a gruesome car accident (Princess Diana style...I was coping!).  I even survived 9-11.  Dramatic.  But pure genius.

It seems my story lines are always ripped from the headlines or my current interests.  Other notable story lines include:

- Me as Voldermort's long-lost American sister and best friend to Ron and Hermione.  Of course I tried to hide my past, of course Harry fell in love with me along the way, and of course I played an instrumental role in killing Vodlermort.

- Me as a tough-hitting political strategist who gets a rude and crude wheelchair bound candidate elected president, only to fall in love with him and help him learn to walk (Again, don't question my imagination!)

- Me as a poor commoner who lived on the outskirts of town (ISR, later 1st and Springfield) but traveled into town (the quad) on errands, and later met and fell in love with the prince at his castle (the Library)

- Me being kidnapped by vampires (a cross between True Blood and Twilight), falling in love with the Alex Skarsgard lookalike, and eventually both saving the vampire race and bringing peace between vampires and humans.

- Me meeting, falling in love, and having a huge wedding with Prince Harry.  Sadly, Will and Kate die in a horrific plane crash shortly thereafter,  leaving Harry and I to take the throne.  Harry is then assassinated while I'm pregnant.  Turns out, the heir to the throne wasn't his...it was Kyles!

Yes, real life seeped into my latest story.  Mainly because I started feeling guilty that I always have to either kill Kyle off, pretend he never existed, or make him a bad person for my stories to make sense.  I have redeemed myself temporarily.  Next one, Kyle's back to six feet under.

What is really sad is this list could go on, and on, and on.  This isn't normal is it?

Ah well....I DON'T CARE.  I love being in my head, and who wouldn't?  It's a constant soap opera up there.  So if you see me with a glazed over, far away look in my eyes, I ask you to leave me alone.  I'm busy being crowned Queen of England, even if it is JUST my imagination.

4 comments:

Luz said...

Oh man I'm so glad I read this before class and not during. This was so entertaining. I have a very vivid imagination too with fake stories that go on and on although I feel like you win with longest running imaginary life. You should just pretty much dedicate this blog to your imaginary stories

Brady said...

Whitney it sounds like you have a real future in writing story lines for the Lifetime Movie Network.

mandaelyse said...

This is your best blog post yet.

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh so hard I cried. Seriously. Jonah was all "what are you laughing at, crazyperson?" but then I read him an excerpt and he started laughing really hard too.

Expect a reblog soon.